5 reasons to earn a graduate certificate in 2021
In hindsight, 2020 was an exhausting year for just about everyone, and the coming year will most certainly have its challenges. But as the calendar turns to January, many of us resolve to make changes to improve our lives and careers.
UNCG Online can’t help you with your personal resolutions — we’re working on ours, too. But we do have a suggestion for your career, whether you’re looking to develop more expertise, go for a promotion, or change jobs completely: Consider earning a graduate certificate to move your career forward in 2021.
Here are 5 reasons why a graduate certificate is a smart career resolution:
1) You’ll stand out in the marketplaceA graduate certificate can give you a competitive edge in a field you may already have experience in. For instance, as a nonprofit professional, you can upgrade your skills without committing to grad school. You’ll learn grant writing and volunteer management that will make you more valuable in the marketplace. You can apply new marketable skills to get a promotion or a new job.
2) You’ll gain valuable skills to stay competitiveMaybe you already have the necessary degree for a new position or career, but a certificate can help you add specific expertise. Staying up-to-date in your field is a smart move. A graduate certificate helps you develop new skills needed to keep up in today’s workplace.
3) You can earn a credential with a smaller commitmentA graduate certificate is a great option for boosting career potential without a big commitment. Instead of enrolling in a two-year degree program, you can get a graduate certificate in about 12 months. And because you’re not taking as many classes, a certificate will cost less than a master’s program.
4) You can try grad school on for sizeA graduate certificate can help you decide if you want to pursue another degree, and you can earn graduate credit in the process. If you get your graduate certificate from a respected institution like UNC Greensboro, your credits may count toward a master’s program if you decide later to pursue one.
5) You can take high-quality courses on your scheduleUNCG’s online certificate programs meet the same high academic standards as our on-campus programs — they’re just designed to be delivered online. This allows you to manage where and when you do the work. And you don’t have to quit your current job to take courses.
Resolve to Explore Your Options
UNCG offers variety of graduate certificate programs, from Cyber Security and Business Analytics to Gerontology and Nursing Administration. Most of our programs require 12–15 credit hours, so you can earn a certificate in about two semesters.
Start the new year by doing something for your career — explore our graduate certificate programs.