When I developed training programs for the pharmaceutical industry, they taught us that drugs are promoted on four features: safety, efficacy, cost, and convenience. All else being equal, convenience trumps everything else. That’s why so many medications come in once-a-day pills. They’re convenient. People will actually remember to take them.
Fortunately, in higher education, safety is not usually an issue (unless you party too hard at the frat). Cost is a big factor and so is efficacy. Everyone wants the best education they can afford.
Online courses developed by UNCG Online and other reputable public colleges and universities offer the same high quality education as their face to face counterparts. Even better, online students pay less because they are not charged dormitory and on-campus fees, bringing their costs down significantly compared to on-campus students.
And then there’s convenience. That's where online education shines.
- It doesn’t matter whether you live in Greensboro or Timbuktu, your online education comes to you. No driving through sleet, snow, hail, or gloom of night. No fighting for a parking place. No wondering if you’ll get to class on time.
- It is available 24/7. If you have a job and a family, you can “go to class” before work or late at night after the kids are in bed. Class is when it’s convenient for you.
- You can attend in your jammies or log on in your blue jeans at the public library.
- Also, you can review the course materials as many times as you like, boosting your mastery and improving your grades.
- Good online courses usually feature a number of tools to make learning exciting and engaging: videos, audios, online discussions, and interactive learning objects. You may even play an interactive role playing game like “Storm Front” or “Terror in the Arctic.”
Between cost, efficacy, unbeatable convenience, and cool stuff to do, online education offers unparalleled opportunities for you to get an excellent education.