Background Image - Foust Building

In-State Tuition for North Carolina Veterans and/or Dependents/Survivors

November 10, 2015 by AJ Lee |

Woman in Military Uniform If you’re a Veteran or dependent/survivor looking to pursue your college education in North Carolina, we have news for you. Under the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014, if you meet certain conditions, you may qualify for North Carolina in-state tuition rates, without meeting the usual civilian residency requirements. This can mean a savings of thousands of dollars every semester.

Who Qualifies:

  • Veterans and their designated dependents/survivors (child, spouse, sibling)

  • Currently pursuing (or planning to pursue) education at an accredited North Carolina college

  • Currently (or soon to be) living in North Carolina

  • Using your or your providing veteran’s GI Bill® benefits

  • Enrolling within three years of your or your providing veteran’s separation from the military

  • You or your providing veteran had active duty service of 90 days or more

If you meet these requirements, you may be eligible for North Carolina in-state tuition rates under the Act.

For more specific details about the Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014, and whether you’re eligible for reclassification, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs


  • What if the three-year period expires after I enroll but before I graduate?

    You still qualify for in-state tuition rates.

  • Do I have to be living in North Carolina for a certain period of time to be covered?

    No. As long as you live in or establish intent to live in North Carolina, you qualify. You’ll need to provide one piece of proof of residency (letter from your landlord, utility bill, etc.)

  • Does living in the residence hall count?

    Yes, even if you return to your parent/guardian’s home out-of-state during breaks.

  • When does the change take effect? Am I eligible for a refund if I’ve already paid out-of-state tuition?

    The provisions of the Act take effect as of July 1, 2015. If you meet the conditions, you will be considered an in-state student for tuition purposes after that date. If you have already paid tuition for the 2015-2016 school year at the out-of-state rate, so long as you meet the conditions, your status will be changed to in-state and you will be refunded any difference. If you have paid out-of-state tuition for studies prior to July 1 2015, those tuition payments are not eligible for a refund of the difference. 


To learn about the many ways to pay tuition, visit our blog post The Money Detective: Finding Ways To Pay For College.


New Call-to-Action

Subscribe to the Blog